Friday, July 10, 2009

Take care of thyself!



Gold that buys health can never be ill spent. ~Thomas Dekker, Westward Ho, 1604

Joy Scale:8/10

It is hard to spend money on your own health, but sometimes you just have to do it. Last week I went to my doctor because my right knee has been really bothering me. He asked if I had tried the supplement SAM-e. He said SAM-E is helpful for inflammation and inflammatory conditions like Fibromyalgia. I said I hadn't that it was too expensive. He did some quick math and said it is only 50 cents a day, was I worth that much? Put that way, I realized that, yes, I could manage that and it was worth trying. Long story short, I bought some the next day and it has really helped with my knee pain. The same can be said for the Bowen and massages that help me so much. It can be hard to come around to believing that you are worth it! BUT YOU ARE!! I have heard that in the US only something like 3% of health care monies are spent on preventative medicine. In Japan and China the opposite is true, around 97% of health care monies are spent on preventative care. Over there they can have accupunture 3 times a week if they want.
It appears that US healthcare is being driven by pharmaceutical companies. As long as this is true then prevention will not be supported. There are now drugs for Fibromyalgia, Lyrica and Cymbalta. But what will it cost the patients taking these drugs physically? I refuse to take prescription drugs, it does not ring true with me. I have seen too many people have side effects from the drugs they are taking and then have to take another drug or drugs for the side effects. It is a vicious cycle. That is why I believe there are natural, hollistic ways to heal thyself.

1 comment:

Lindsay said...

sam-e is also good for pms :)